November 14, 2006

Retro Recipe Challenge #4 - Fall Favorites

I don't know how I do it. I mean, it has got to be more than just a coincidence that every time I make something out of my old Farm Journal cookbook, I always lose said cookbook before I have a chance to type out the recipe. It is so frustrating! Luckily, I found the recipe online -- otherwise I was ready to throw in the towel on this one.

I'm bending my interpretation of "fall favorites" for this Retro Recipe Challenge. Are baked doughnuts a fall favorite? Not really -- but I do a lot more baking in the fall to warm up my apartment, therefor I think this will work. Sorta.

These turned out better than I had expected. I have made baked doughnuts in the past that were heavy as rocks and tasted about the same. These were much better. They aren't as good as Krispy Kreme or anything -- but they were fun to make and easier than dealing with a ton of oil.



Baked Doughnut Puffs

2 Tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour -- sifted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter -- melted

Cream shortening, sugar & egg until light and fluffy. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Mix well to a stiff dough. stir in nuts.

Drop by tablespoon into well greased small size muffin pan cups. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Combine powdered sugar and cinnamon in paper bag.

Dip top of doughnut in melted butter, shake 2 or 3 at a time in bag with sugar.

Recipe from the Farm Journal cookbook, Published 1952

Tags:

A year ago today...Moist Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting.