July 10, 2006

Rhubarb & Strawberry Tart




The last week has been a lot of work but a lot of fun! I have been making a bunch of dishes that I have never made before. Coming up are shrimp scampi with linguini, lasagna rolls, garlic herb bread and some yummy sandwiches - so stay tuned!


Sunday afternoon I made a pan of Giada's Lasagna Rolls with Garlic Herb Bread, which was extremely delicious I must say. That evening I wanted something easy for dessert so I turned to a recipe my mom gave me for Rhubarb Pie. I actually made a pie and a tart with all filling I had, so my measurements may not be spot on. Don't worry though -- it is nearly impossible to mess up rhubarb pies, or rhubarb tarts for that matter. I added about 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped strawberries to the Rhubarb Pie recipe, along with a bit of extra flour and sugar. I divided the mixture up and viola -- instant pie and tart!


Using premade pie dough was a life saver for both of these desserts. I used the scrap pieces from the tart pan to shape a heart then added a bit of cream to the top of the pastry heart and dredged it in sugar. Then I simply placed it in the middle of the tart and baked.


This is my submission for the ARF-5 A Day Roundup that can be found at Sweetnicks.