June 25, 2006

Grilled Portobello Sandwiches with Garlic Herbed Mayo




I was flattered to be invited by Cath at a Blithe Palate to participate in the first Cookbook Spotlight event, currently featuring the cookbook, Kitchen Sense by Mitchell Davis. This event will be co-hosted by Cath and Sara from i like to cook and will feature 25 bloggers who have received the cookbook and prepared recipes from it.


Kitchen Sense is an 'okay' cookbook. Looking back and being more honest, personally I'd never pay $35 for a cookbook with no beautiful pictures. Of course, I got this book for free, so I won't complain further about the lack of visual stimulation. While this sandwich did turn out very well, I also tried the Lemon Bars that were a disaster. Nowhere in the recipe did it instruct me to prep the baking pan in any way, and as a result I had lemon bars that were bonded to the pan for life. Not very pleasing -- and for a newbie cook I imagine this would be incredibly frustrating. After all, isn't the recipe supposed to tell you everything you need to do? At the very least, what to do so you don't waste all your ingredients? Not always so. This was a major disapointment for me. Now I feel as though I can't trust the recipes in the cookbook, which pretty much sends it into cookbook exile.


I want to thank the hosts, Sara and Cath for allowing me to participate.


As you can see, I prepared Grilled Portobello and Sun-dried Tomato Sandwiches with Garlic Herb Mayo. I chose this simply for the fact that I love mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, but rarely purchase them since my husband will eat neither. Well, it shouldn't be surprising to learn that I loved the sandwich! The garlic herb mayonnaise really added a lot to the sandwich, so if you are tempted to skip it to save time, I beg you not to.


Grilled Portobello and Sun-Dried Tomato Sandwich with Garlic Herbed Mayonnaise

For the Garlic Herbed Mayonnaise:
1/3 c. Hellmann's or Best Foods mayonnaise
2 tsp. white wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. minced garlic



4 kaiser rolls
4 large portobello mushroom caps (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4-8 sun-dried tomatoes halves packed in olive oil (I use more like 4 halves per sandwich)
2 large leaves romaine lettuce



Heat a pan to medium-high heat. Brush the portobellos with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Add to heated pan and cook for 5-8 minutes on the first side, then turn over and cook for 4-5 minutes on the second side.


Heat your rolls gently in the microwave and spread both halves with your mayo mixture. Place as many as desired sun-dried tomatoes on your roll and top with a portobello. Finish with the romaine and top with other half of the roll. Enjoy!