May 05, 2006

Fried Zucchini Coins




The adorable Lis from La Mia Cucina posted about her family recipe for Fried Zucchini the other day and it was then I knew just how I wanted to use up my last zucc in the fridge.


These are quite different from my family recipe, which has a thicker batter and is served along side some horseradish mayo -- but it is quick and delicious! I scaled my recipe down to serve one small/medium size zucchini, since, yaknow, my husband wont eat his veggies.


My Take on Lisa's Fried Zucchini


1 small/medium sized zucchini, washed and cut into thin slices (coins)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil for frying

Lisa's Instructions: Put oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Combine the flour, salt and pepper thoroughly in a large shallow bowl. Dip your zucchini coins in the eggs and then dredge them in the flour mixture turning over to coat the coin completely, laying each coated coin on a tray or rack.

Once the oil is hot (You can test by dropping a small amount of the eggs in the oil, if they sizzle it's ready) carefully place the zucchini slices in a single layer but don't crowd them. Fry each side for roughly 3 to 4 minutes (until they are golden brown), drain on either paper towels or a brown paper bag.