January 19, 2006

Retro Blog Party - Meat Puffs Gore - I mean Galore!



Meat Puffs
Recipe From Farm Journal's Country Cookbook


"Hamburger in a new dress -- what a dish!" Hah, okay, this cookbook is on crack.


2 Tbsp. butter
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (I used dried minced onion)
6 sliced bread (I used 9)
1 c. milk
2 eggs, unbeaten
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper (I omitted)
1 tsp. seasoned salt (I used garlic powder instead)
1 lb ground beef
9 Thin onion slices (again, I used dried minced)
Optional - Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Wow. So I did end up making quite a few adjustments to suit my husbands tastes. This is a basic enough recipe you can use whatever on hand and I am betting it will all taste fine.


1.Melt butter in skillet. Add onions and saute until golden brown.

2.Crumble bread into mixing bowl. Add milk and let stand until bread is moist. Add eggs and mix well. Add onion, green pepper and salt; add meat; mix well.

3.Pile mixture lightly into greased muffin pans. Top each with a thin onion slice. Bake in hot oven, 425 F degrees until nicely browned, about 30 minutes. Makes about 9 puffs. (Mine actually made 12 good sized puffs)



I think the surprising part of this was that they actually tasted pretty good. I chose the puffs that had cheddar added and had a spot of ketchup on the side. I know, I know. They were sorta greasy, due to the raw meat added to the mix then the fat being absorbed into the puffs. If you were to cook the meat prior to adding that would probably nix that problem, but I don't know how well they would hold together.


Call me crazy, but I will be making these as a quick breakfast dish. If you have a husband who likes old fashioned retro cooking, you might want to give these a shot.


I wasn't able to get all the ingredients for my cocktail, but really, how could tomato juice, cloves and cinnamon NOT taste good, am I right? Heh.


Spiced Tomato Juice

"Hostess success tip: Serve this hot cheery drink and delight your friends." Okay lady, will do.



1 (46 oz) can tomato juice
6 Tbsp. brown sugar
6 whole cloves
2 (2 1/2") cinnamon sticks
1/2 lemon, sliced



1.Combine all ingredients in heavy saucepan. Bring to boil; simmer 5 minutes. Strain and heat before serving. Makes about 5 cups.


Wow! Well, I can't think of anything more appetizing than that.