January 06, 2006

Brownies from the Well Fed Network




Courtney from the Paper Palatte (of the Well Fed Network) posted her family recipe for homemade brownies. I have to admit, I've gotten quite used to making box mix brownies. So I decided to remind myself of what I had been missing, and give her "Jane Eyre's Brownies" a go.


Jane Eyre's Brownies from Courtney


4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (we use Baker's brand)(So did I)
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 c. flour



Melt butter and chocolate together, either in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, or over a double broiler. Mix together the sugar, vanilla, eggs, and salt with the butter/chocolate. Add flour and mix until incorporated. Pour batter into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. I baked for about 10 minutes longer than specified.

So, how did they taste?

They are definitely different from most brownies I've tasted. 4 oz. of unsweetened chocolate certainly hits the palette and smacks you around a little bit. The top was pleasantly crackly, the insides moist, a great combo of chewy and cakey at the same time. My only alteration next time would be to use 2 oz. of semisweet and 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate.



The good news was with such an abundance of unsweetened chocolate in these babies, I ate one and felt more than satisfied. So, no going back for secondsies and thirdsies. Good for my butt, bad for the part of me wanting to sit down and devour a plate of brownies.


I can completely understand how Courtney explains that growing up with a recipe often makes it taste 'familiar and comfortable to you'. Since I grew up with slightly sweeter tasting brownies, this recipe wouldn't replace my favorite. But, my husband loved them (a total brownie whore, that man) and I didn't pig out and eat the whole pan. I will count that as a big victory in my book.