November 08, 2005

Vanilla Pie




There are some very interesting and varying recipes for Vanilla Pie, as I found out this afternoon.

My first attempt at a so called Amish Vanilla Pie came by way of From Amish to Mennonite Kitchens. It should have been called Molasses Pie, as that was the only flavor that rang through.


Amish Vanilla Pie

Instead of wasting a pie crust on this, as I knew my husband wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole, I regrouped and found a better Vanilla Pie recipe.


Crumb Topping for Vanilla Pie


I used the crumb recipe from the Amish Vanilla Pie recipe, as a crumb topping is just a crumb topping, at least in this case. All I added was a bit of brown sugar to my pre existing crumb mix.





I've never had vanilla pie before, so no basis to judge the results. It was interesting to just have the vanilla flavor since most often vanilla is an addition to some bigger flavor players.


I really liked this pie..it was subtle and really tasty when a tad warm. Perhaps it would taste good to have a bit of flavored fresh whipped cream alongside? The flavor possibilities are endless..


Vanilla Pie
Makes 1 Pie; Serves 10


Ingredients:
1 (9-inch) pie shell

Filling:

1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten

Crumb Topping:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cram of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter


Directions:


Cook filling ingredients over med. heat until mixture comes to a boil. Let cool.

Mix topping ingredients until crumbly. Pour cooled filling mixture into pie shell. Top with crumbs. Bake at 350-f for 40 min. or until golden brown. Recipe from CDKitchen.com