November 19, 2005

Quick Brownies with 3 Flavors of Homemade Hot Fudge



I doctored up a box mix with the additions of about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of walnuts. Follow the baking instructions on the box and you are ready to go.


But it was just too simple. I needed something extra...so I turned to a Fine Cooking - Holiday Baking mag from winter 2004.


hot fudge jar - magazine photo


I decided I would try making not one, but THREE flavors of hot fudge.


I halved the following recipe, as it makes a whopping 5 cups. As I wasn't going to be giving these away as gifts, I simply divided the sauce into three small containers and added the appropriate ingredients.


Hot Fudge Sauce
(Full Recipe - Makes about 5 cups)

1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder (either natural or Dutch-processed)
2/3 c. heavy cream
16 fluid oz. (2 cups) light corn syrup
1 lb semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chocolate chips)
2 1/2 oz. (5 T.) unsalted butter
Pinch table salt



Place cocoa in a heavy saucepan. Slowly add cream while whisking until smooth. Add corn syrup, chocolate, butter and salt.

Set the pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until combined. After the chocolate has melted and the sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat and let it gently boil for 5 minutes, until it thickens (it took quite a while for my mix to come to a boil). Let sauce cool (until steam no longer rises when it is stirred) before adding flavor additions.

The sauces will keep for approx. 3 months in the fridge, longer in the freezer. You can reheat the sauce in the microwave.



Variations:


Mint Hot Fudge Sauce (For Full Recipe)
Stir 1 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract into the warm sauce



Cinnamon Hot Fudge Sauce (For Full Recipe)
Whisk 1/2 T. ground cinnamon into the warm sauce. Taste and add more cinnamon if you like.

My favorite was a toss up between the plain hot fudge and the cinnamon flavored fudge. It turned out so good!


*Note* Until the sauces completely cooled, they had what seemed a bunch of little clumps..either that or pockets of air that compressed out once it cooled. I was a bit worried about this, but once it had cooled at room temp for a few minutes, it was smooth and beautiful.