November 03, 2005

Orange Cupcakes With (out) Orange Cream Cheese Frosting




I have been obsessed with cupcakes lately. There is something about the super tender cake and the light and sugary frosting that is divine. I gave this recipe a shot from Leite's Culinaria and had, well, mixed results.


The orange flavor was pleasant, albeit a tiny bit strong, but that was my fault as I used dried orange peel instead of fresh orange rind. (I wasn't about to make a trip for one stinkin orange)


Overall, the cake was too dry, a little to crumbly. Not a very pleasant texture. Did something not match up with my high altitude? Quite possibly. I also did halve the recipe, so maybe something botched along the way.


But in the end, I didn't even bother icing these, as I felt it would be a waste of ingredients. Oh well! On to better things!



Here the Orange Cupcakes pose with my mother's "Get well soon, it sucks you fell on your face- flowers" (from me, of course) :)