November 14, 2005

Moist Chocolate Cake & Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting




Oh. my. God.
This is the best cake I've ever tasted in my life.


No joke.
But you wouldn't be able to tell from the pictures.





It isn't the most attractive cake, by any means. I'm not sure why its all slouchey in the middle, but it wasn't that it didn't cook enough...so I don't know about that factor.





//UPDATE// I consulted with the mother and she informed me that the sloucheyness factor was due to my HIGH ELEVATION (hah, not that kind of high). So if you aren't up in the clouds like I am, you are golden.

This chocolate cake is an old(ish) family recipe that I'd never made before. I wasn't even sure if I remembered how it tasted...and then I pulled it out of the oven, and it all came rushing back to me.

This is the most moist chocolate cake you will ever taste. I am even willing to bet on it.


The batter for it is literally like water. Well no, not quite water. But like a Orange Julius. Really thin. You ask yourself, "can this possibly be right?"


Oh yes, it can be so, so right.


I took a chance with a Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting from Oprah.com, of all places. Perfection doesn't quite come close to the results.


My husband doesn't like much frosting on sweets, so I slathered on a thin layer, popped in a few candles, and it was done.

Please, if you love good tasting cake, (and who doesn't?) try this cake.


Moist Chocolate Cake

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. oil
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. cocoa
1 c. sour milk (add 1 T Vinegar - it will turn the milk a little sludgey - its supposed to do that)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. hot coffee



Preheat oven to 350 f degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in oil and sugar. Mix in flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa alternately with milk. Slowly pour in vanilla and coffee while mixing. (Batter will be VERY thin)

Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool. Frost & serve.

Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting
(Adapted from
this recipe)

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
4 cups confectioner's sugar (1 pound box), plus more if necessary


Cream the butter in a medium-size bowl until very smooth. Stir in the vanilla-bean seeds until they're evenly distributed. Add the salt, milk and vanilla extract, and stir until combined. Sift the sugar over the butter mixture and stir the mixture until it's perfectly smooth. If the frosting is too loose, add a few more tablespoons of confectioner's sugar, and stir until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap until you're ready to use; mix well just before using.