November 16, 2005

Blog Party #4 The Gang's All Here: The Holiday Edition

The Happy Sorceress has been hosting a great event (that I just learned of, doh) where the 3rd Thursday of every month is blog party time! You must submit at least one appetizer and cocktail (alcoholic or non) with varying themes.


Well, this I can handle!

Appetizers have always been my favorite part of a meal. If I could, I would gorge on teeny tiny little foods year round. But..I guess that would make my rear round..and well, the last thing my rear needs is more round..ah hem..never mind.

I give you the charming Vanilla Bean - Pineapple & Bacon Wraps with Rosemary Skewers!


Accompanied by a Johnny Apple-cider-Seed Mocktail!







Vanilla Bean - Pineapple & Bacon Wraps with Rosemary Skewers

1/2 Vanilla bean, seeds removed (I used a whole bean, I think it may have been a tad too much)
1 can pineapple rings (Obviously, if you can get fresh, go for it)
1 package thin sliced bacon
Sprigs of Rosemary for skewering

Cut up pineapple into goodly sized chunks and mix with vanilla bean seeds until the seeds are evenly distributed.



Cut bacon slices in half, then wrap around a chunk of pineapple. Place with bacon tail ends down on a baking sheet.


Broil in oven for about 10 minutes, watching carefully so bacon doesn't burn. After cooling them for a bit, take a very small-width-ed (is that a word? I have no idea) knife and pierce through so Rosemary can easily sit inside. Serve and enjoy!

I will note that they taste significantly better when they aren't *piping hot* The heat brings out the heavy vanilla scent and leaves a strong after taste. If you let them cool down just a tad the after too-strong taste pretty much disappears.




If you are anything like me, (as in, you have been trying to get pregnant and have had no luck, but still withhold from drinking *just in case*) alcohol isn't always your first choice for a party drink. This luscious little drink tastes just how I would imagine Apple Sherbet to taste. It's refreshing and delicious.


I didn't use specific measurements, but you really cant mess this recipe up.


Johnny Apple-cider-Seed Mocktail

1 scoop vanilla ice cream
Splash of OJ
7 Up or similar soda (to thin drink to your consistency liking)
Apple Cider



Mix ingredients in a blender or malt mixer (what I used, I'm not even sure what they are called). Adjust according to your tastes. I added more than just a splash of OJ, and thinned the mixture out with apple cider and soda until it was satisfactory. YUM!