September 07, 2005

Orange Wedding Cake

Layered Lemon Curd Wedding Cake with Vanilla Bean Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting and Candied Orange Slices
Layered Lemon Curd Wedding Cake with Vanilla Bean Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting and Candied Orange Slices


When I was just a little gal growing up in the wild world of Wisconsin, every year my Mom allowed me to pick out my birthday cake. And every year we headed out and bought my beautifully delicious Orange Birthday Cake!, completed with decorations of jelly beans and shredded day-glow green coconut. Oh how I loved it. The Orange Birthday Cake! was a much anticipated tradition in my little life and I'm not surprised I channeled the spirit of the Orange Birthday Cake! for my own wedding.


Let it also be briefly mentioned that the same store sold luncheon slices that were half indiscernible meat and half 'white who knows what kind cheese' AND god help me, it was so good. I've been craving it for years. Carrying on.
This cake is AMAZING. The frosting is unbelievabley rich--sticks upon sticks of butter gave their lives for this cake. Sugary sticky sweet orange slices that are delicious on their own. Tart lemon curd and fluffy white cake. If you are an orange and lemon fan this is THE CAKE for you.


A brief description of what my cake ended up being:
White Cake, 4 9" Layers on the bottom tier - 3 or 4 6" Layers on the top tier. The layers were then given a light brushing of lemon simple syrup. An amazing store bought lemon curd was then slathered on inbetween. Originally we were going to have homemade orange curd, but in the end it was too much to do with ONLY A WEEK NOTICE to plan the entire wedding. Yes folks, I am quite the spontaneous girl.



For about one day I had grand ambitions of planning a big wedding that would take place some day off in the future. And after of day of planning I had an anxiety attack. Therefore we had a blitzkrieg sort of event. Anyhow. The icing had flecks of real vanilla bean mixed through out, which gave it a nice touch. We tried piping the frosting on but it ended up looking like a epileptic seizured all over it. So we went for the simple "rustic" look of slathering on the buttercream. And voila!

About 5 different white cake recipes were tried before one actually worked. The winner was found in the humble little cookbook High Altitude Baking.


White Cake Recipe


FancyFlours graciously provided a recipe for Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting. It's a delightful local store that is a bakers dream.

Fancy Flours Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting
(Click for a larger view)


Here we have a sample recipe for candied oranges. It's not the one I used but I imagine it would work. Beh.


And here is a general recipe for lemon syrup used to infuse the cake layers, along with what we bought for the lemon curd.


Bird's eve view bitches.


58810017


Here is the cake relaxing in our honeymoon suite.


Top Tier 3

And here is the cake anxiously awaiting to be transported to the reception.


Two Tiers 1


I think you guys can figure the rest out on your own. So don't ask for help. Cause I don't care bit-ches.


Just kidding. ;)