November 21, 2004

Neiman Marcus Chocolate Mint Cookies

My creation
For my first IMBB entry, I chose the infamous Neiman Marcus cookie, but with a mint twist. I hadn't tried the highly recommended recipe, so I was a wee bit skeptical. Let's see if it deserves all the hype...
Neiman Marcus Chocolate Mint Cookies


Ingredients (I made a double batch and froze half)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Andes crushed chocolate mints (found in the baking aisle)


1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2.Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.


3.In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the mint chips.


4.Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Overall, they were very sweet and a tad too crispy for my liking. You may want to note that a lot of places write that you would bake the Neiman Marcus cookies @ 375 for a shorter amount of time, but I have read in many places that a cooler 300f does a better job of it. Also, since I like chewier cookies, I would reduce the cooking time to oh around 15-17 minutes.


After I brought these babies into work to share, a coworker made her own variation with less Andes, a shorter baking time, and just a single batch. Not being as much of a sweet tooth hound, she liked the recipe even more than mine. To each his own. ;)