October 09, 2004

Overnight Orange French Toast with Glorious Orange Sauce



Overnight Orange French Toast


Ingredients
4 eggs
1/2 cup half-and-half of milk (I used half & half)
1/3 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur or orange juice (I used Absolut Mandarin vodka)
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
16 slices french bread, each 3/4" thick (I bought a french bread loaf and used almost the entire thing, although some slices were more like 1")
Glorious Orange Sauce (below)



1. Beat eggs, half-and-half, orange juice,liqueur, sugar, vanilla and salt in small bow with fork. Dip bread into egg mixture, soaking thoroughly; place in ungreased rectangular pan, 15x10x1 inches. Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread. (I only had a spoonful left over...I was afraid the bread would dry out overnite, so I drizzled just a little 2% milk over the bread before covering) Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

2. Make Glorious Orange Sauce; keep warm.


3. Heat griddle to 375f or heat skillet over medium heat; grease with butter. Cook bread 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sauce. (My griddle got too hot by the second batch, I would advise a cool down for a couple minutes so it doesn't burn your bread and leave the inside uncooked.)

Glorious Orange Sauce


Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. frozen (thawed) o.j. concentrate (I used regular o.j. and it was fine, probably just not as tart)



1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and o.j., stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Beat with wire whisk until thick and shiny.


The breakfast was a hit! I also brought bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon; blueberry and cheese blintzes, sausages and iced teas. The blintzes were store bought, sadly I just didn't have the time to cook everything from scratch. :)